What exactly is a whole house fan? Well, unlike ceiling fans, this is a total system which consists of an exhaust that will normally be built into the attic of the building and has been designed in order to circulate the air in the house throughout the entire building.
Sometimes, it is confused with the attic ventilator, which is normally powered by electricity. The job of the attic ventilator is to get rid of the hot air in the house and throw it outside through an opening at a very low velocity.
The job of the whole house fan is to make sure that it can suck the air from the outside into the attic space. This will be able to cause a positive differential pressure in the attic, thereby forcing the air out of the vents created. It will also create a negative differential pressure thereby making sure that the air will be circulated most of the rooms in the house, and the warm air will be dissipated through the open windows.
This work is more or less like a centralized air-conditioning system, whereby the amount of cost incurred in a centralized air-conditioning system is much more than a typical whole house fan in a building. Some of the best whole house fan also provides energy efficiency, thereby making it one of the best products that you could possibly purchase.
So, when it comes to the basic choices, how would an amateur be able to select the best whole house fan? Well, it is important that you get a knowledgeable person, particularly an HVAC installer to help you out.
These are experienced people, and will be able to help you find the best fitting according to the space of the attic in your house along with the corresponding climate. You need to bear in mind that getting the biggest size of the whole house fan is not the way to go.
If you get a larger size, it is extremely good for getting the air to move very quickly, but you would also need to increase the size of all the installation requirements, along with the installation, the noise, along with the total cost and the appearance of the product.
Looking at the subsequent spiraling cost factor, you might be able to opt for a smaller fan size. All in all, each and everything is dependent upon the needs of your house along with the floor plan as well as all the several items that can be introduced in order to provide for a better airflow in your house.
You have got to remember that the ventilation in the attic is almost as important as getting the best whole house fan to be installed in your house. The fan will not be able to work if there is no easy way out for the hot air. Without the appropriate ventilation, the fan would actually start blowing hot air into the house.
If possible, you would need to go for the installation of additional venting, so as to get the maximum efficiency out of your fan. However, if you do not want to increase the expenditure already made through the purchase of the best whole house fan, it is important that you take with a fan size that is much smaller than anticipated.
If you have a look at the products in the market as of today, you would come across several types and sizes of fans to choose from. In addition, there are big and larger traditional models, and manufacturers have also started making fans that have an extremely easy installation process and also comprehensive insulation features when required.
Take the help of the expert, and go through the different kinds of specifications that are already predetermined in your house to find out the correct product that will be suitable for your household.
Another important thing for you to do is to contact the electricity company in your locality, and ask if you are eligible to get a rebate due to the consumption of excessive electricity. This could be good for your taxes, as you will be able to get tax credit for the amount of energy that has been used in your house.
Basically, there are three types of whole house fan: –
- Standard Fan: – Going by the name, you realize that this is one of the most standard features in whole house fan, and they are one of the most affordable and accessible to the general market. This is actually a wonderful solution for all the people that tend to live in the warmer areas of the country. Extremely low-cost, these have an extensive amount of installation features that one would need to go through. Another disadvantage for this particular product is that in the winter season, it is unable to get the warm air to remain in the house, as it creates ventilation for the warm air to go out. Costing $ 200 or more, this is certainly one of the most affordable whole house fans that you can find in the market.
- Insulated door fan:- If you consider the fact that you live in a cold climate, and you want the heat to remain in your house then you would need to go for this particular product. A cost of $ 500 or more, this particular product is definitely something that you would want in case you would need quality ventilation during the summertime, and insulation during the winter. These models to not look like your standard fans, but the disadvantage of letting the warm air flow out is not present in this particular type. The installation process is also easier than the standard fans, therefore making it a choice for many houses.
- Inline Fans: -About $ 300 or more, this is certainly one type of whole house fan that you would not want in case you happen to be moving houses. This is more like a permanent installation, as it will be like a duct system. So, it is mainly to make sure that a small intake port is established in each and every house, and there is a large whole house fan blowing air through the ducts. Well, this particular in-line fan will be able to prevent the warm air from leaking out during the winter due to the vents remaining in an upright position. If you end up investing in this particular product, then you have to make sure that you are already an owner of the house. Otherwise, relocating and uninstalling this fan can end up costing you a lot more than it took for the installation to be done.
Let’s look at some of the Best whole house fan reviews 2016
- Bionaire twin reversible airflow window fan with remote control: – Well, this stellar product from Bionaire is definitely something that you would want in your house. Along with a remote control so as to make your life much better, this product has been able to garner 4.1 out of 5 stars from customers all across the world.
- It can draw in the cool air and get rid of the hot air.
- It contains an electronic control coupled with an LCD screen and a remote control for the speed of the fan.
- The thermostat can be programmable, helping you to turn off or turn on in order to maintain a comfort level.
- Remote control operation has been introduced for the ultimate convenience and pleasure. It is definitely going to create a wonderful posterity for your comfort.
- The price tag of $64.99 is definitely something that you can afford for your comfort.
- Holmes twin window fan with comfort control thermostat: – A 4 out of 5 stars for this wonderful cooling unit from Holmes definitely shows the amount of comfort people have had with this particular window fan. It also helps you control thermostat so as to help you control the temperature to your own liking.
- The manual thermostat has been ensured to maintain the ideal comfort level within the house.
- The performance of twin blades that contains reversible motors is going to create excellent speed settings for your needs.
- The adjustable screen extender along with the panels will definitely help you to secure the fan in larger windows along with a three-year limited warranty.
- It has been specifically designed to fit on Windows in normal rooms.
- An affordable price range of $63.61 is really something that you would like to have in your house.
- AirKing 9166 20” Whole house window fan: – A wonderful product created by AirKing, this 20” whole house fan has definitely been the darling for most of the current generation’s cooling needs. A wonderful rating of 4.1 out of 5 stars enables you to understand the popularity that this product enjoys in the market.
- It has a three speed control that has been permanently lubricated for hassle-free air control.
- It can easily fit window openings that are between 27 to 38 inches.
- It has a front mounted rotary switch for easy access to the fan.
- Approved by the OSHA.
- A price tag of $145.62 is definitely something affordable for the normal folks.
- Lasko 2155A electrically reversible window fan: – A comprehensive product created by Lasko is something that has been winning hearts for the people looking at effective cooling and ventilation solutions. A rating of 3.8 out of 5 stars is definitely going to be taken on a positive note for this wonderful company and the trust customers have placed on its product.
- The choice of closing the window behind the fan during bad weather or when you’re away from your house is unique.
- It has extremely powerful 16 inch blades that can provide wonderful ventilation.
- It also has extendable side panels that can be used for a custom fit.
- Patented with ETL, it has a fused safety plug in place for precaution purposes.
- A price of $98.76 for a fan of such caliber is definitely a steal.
- AirKing 9155 Storm Guard Window Fan: – AirKing has been a steady competitor in the whole house fan reviews category, and the Storm Guard window fan is definitely one of the best that you can find in the market for a comprehensive pricing. A rating of 3.7 out of 5 stars is definitely going to go down well with the customers preferring to get a comprehensible window fan of this caliber.
- It has been constructed with extremely high impact styrene housing, and also has metal front grill for safety purposes.
- Compatible with ETL and OSHA, so one could say that it is in accordance most of the standard practices in this segment.
- It has a front mounted rotary switch consisting of three speeds for effective regulation of the air.
- A price tag of $114.27 is something that everybody would want in their house.
So, having a look at the whole house fan reviews, you can select the product that you would want, based upon your budget as well as the needs of your house.